Monday, June 4, 2012

A Thousand Splendid Suns



{This spectacular book was written by the same author as The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini.}

Based in Afghanistan, mostly in the early 2000's, during the Taliban's take-over, it depicts the lives of the women during the time and the insane cruelty and predujice that was their reality.

It completely freaked me out that it was relatively recent and that I would have been the same age as one of the character's daughter at the same time. It blows my mind to think of how different my life would have been...

All I can say is that I have a much deeper sense of appreciation for beautiful South Africa, where despite many issues, we have freedom and equality as women.

I STRONGLY advise all of you to read it - especially those of you who are negative about our country. It really will change your perspective. I know it changed mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment